New Graduate Students
We are looking forward to welcoming you to the UCI campus this Fall 2020! This email will provide you with information as to what steps you should be completing between now and your arrival to campus. Please read it over carefully as it contains a lot of important information. If, following review of the email, you have questions or would like to request clarification, please reply to this email and we would be happy to assist you.
General List: Things to Do After You've Been Admitted
- Consult the appropriate (domestic or international student) Graduate Division Pre-Arrival and Post-Arrival Action Item checklists: https://grad.uci.edu/admissions/admitted-students/index.php
- Begin checking your UCI email account via UCI Google Apps Gmail as important information will be sent there.
- International students who need an F-1 or J-1 Visa should complete the I-20/DS-2020 Request for New Graduate Students and submit it to the department if you have not already done so.
- If applicable, meet the conditions of your provisional admissions prior to the Fall quarter.
- Enroll in classes (see below for more information about enrolling in units).
- Pay fees by September 15. Students can log in to their ZotBill account to see their balance and pay their fees. Learn about Graduate Student Health Insurance (GSHIP) and the requirements to waive it (if applicable).
- Notify the Graduate Division at email@example.com of an address change prior to the third week of classes.
- International students only: Attend the International Graduate Student Orientation on Friday, September 25 (Strongly Recommended). For more information, please visit: https://grad.uci.edu/services/campus-orientation/international-orientation.php
- Attend the Campuswide Graduate Welcome & Orientation on Friday, September 25 (Strongly Recommended). For more information, please visit: https://grad.uci.edu/services/campus-orientation/campuswide-orientation.php
- Attend the Engineering Departmental New Graduate Student Orientation dates vary (Mandatory). Additional information will be sent during the summer months.
A breakdown of FULL-TIME and PART-TIME graduate student fees will be posted once finalized at http://www.reg.uci.edu/fees/ in the next month.
Enrolling in Units
FULL-TIME = 12 or more units per quarter (maximum 16 units).
PART-TIME = 1 to 8 units only per quarter. Note: only domestic MS students are eligible for part-time study and can request it via the Reduced Fee Part-Time Study Program form (found at http://www.grad.uci.edu/forms/) to their departmental coordinator; deadlines apply.
ENROLLING is a two-step process:
1) Students will use WebSOC to look up what courses are offered for the Fall 2020 quarter.
2) Students will then complete the registration for those courses using WebReg (click on the yellow "Access WebReg" link on the right-hand side).
Resources to help you choose courses are:
- Plans of Study - found on your department website
- 2020-21 UCI Catalogue - will be published in early July
- 2020-21 Engineering Tentative Teaching Plan
- Graduate Coordinator and/or initial faculty contact (as stated in admission letter) - http://engineering.uci.edu/current/graduate/advisors-and-coordinators.
- Graduate and Professional Studies
Course Numbering System - UCI uses the following numbering system for its courses:
- 0-99: Lower-Division Undergraduate Courses (cannot be counted toward graduate degree)
- 100-195: Upper-Division Undergraduate Courses (some programs allow a limited of these units to be counted toward the MS degree. Consult with your Graduate Coordinator to determine approval).
- 196-199: Upper-Division Undergraduate Research Units (not appropriate for graduate students)
- 200-298: Graduate-Level Coursework
- Courses with the "P" suffix are restricted to students in the M.Eng program only
- 296, 297, and 299: Graduate-Level Research