Department of Biomedical Engineering

Frequently Asked Questions

Can the application fee be waived?

Yes.  Fee waiver eligibility is triggered through the Personal History Statement of the Graduate Application. 

Is it easier to be admitted for the Fall, Winter or Spring quarter?

Applications are accepted for Fall quarter only.  Fellowships are only awarded in the Fall quarter.

May I defer my admission offer?

The Department of Biomedical Engineering does not grant deferred admission.  If a student declines the offer of admission, the student's application will be closed for that academic year.  Supporting documents are retained for two years in the event a student wishes to re-apply at a later date.

Are my chances of being admitted to a graduate degree program in the Department better if I do not require financial assistance?

Uniform admissions standards are applied to all students regardless of financial need.

Can I be employed as a Teaching Assistant (TA) or Graduate Student Researcher (GSR)?

To be hired as a TA or GSR, students must provide proof of eligibility for employment on campus. An international student must have taken and passed the TSE with a minimum score of  50, or received a minimum score of 26 on the speaking component of the TOEFL iBT in order to qualify for TA appointment.

I received a fellowship for next academic year that includes a monthly stipend. Will I be required to work as a TA or a GSR in return for the stipend?

Conditions of your financial support award are included in the formal letter you received from the Department. Employment as a TA or GSR is not generally required when the student's financial support package includes a monthly stipend. When service is required in return for the stipend, the student is typically employed on a "without salary" basis as a Graduate Student Researcher.

Why is there a difference between TA salaries and GSR salaries for M.S. students and Ph.D. students who have not yet passed the qualifying examination?

GSRs and TAs are paid on different wage scales.  The employment scale for a GSR is 49% time (19 hours per week), whereas, TAs are employed at 50% time (20 hours per week).  In addition, fees and nonresident tuition for GSRs appointed to work at least ten hours per week are paid in full.  TAs however, must pay a portion of their fees and nonresident tuition.

Will my admission offer include guaranteed access to on-campus housing?

With the implementation of the UCI Guaranteed Housing Program, incoming PhD students will be provided on-campus housing for the normative time to degree.  Guaranteed housing offers will be made for the Fall quarter only and cannot be deferred.  All newly admitted students are responsible for applying on their own to live on campus; you will receive information direct from the UCI Housing Office concerning the various housing options available on campus. Early applications to live in on-campus housing are strongly encouraged.