Student Affairs, Advising
The Department of Materials Science and Engineering at UC Irvine is committed to delivering strong and knowledgeable administrative expertise with superior customer service to faculty, staff, students, researchers, department friends, and community. As such, we are proud to provide support in various areas, to include Student Affairs and Advising at the Department level. Desiree Rios is the Department Student Services Advisor who oversees the following areas in MSE @ UCI:
- General support for the undergraduate programs of MSE
- Graduate programs, admissions and recruitment management for Materials Science and Engineering
- Graduate student advising/counseling
- Interpretation of student programs, university polices, regulations and requirements
- Oversight of matters related to graduate student funding employment and curriculum
- Program planning and accreditation oversight (ABET, WASC, APR)
For additional information related to these topics please read below or contact Desiree at 949-824-8893 or email@example.com.
M.S. and Ph.D. students are required to complete the following core courses:
- MSE 200 - Crystalline Solids
- MSE 205 - Materials Physics
- MSE 256A - Mechanical Behavior of Engineering Materials
- MSE 265 - Phase Transformation
- MSE 298 - Department Seminar (3 quarters)
M.S. students will need to complete a total of 5 electives. Ph.D. students will need to complete a total of 7 electives. All electives must be 200-level or above and must be approved by the Graduate Advisor.
All courses must be completed with a grade of “B” or higher. All students must be enrolled in 16 units each quarter, unless a part-time M.S. student or on Filing Fee.
Graduate Studies Timelines
M.S. Students Complete all core courses within the first year and complete the comprehensive exam in spring quarter if using the comprehensive exam option. Submit the Advancement to Candidacy Form the quarter prior to when you expect to confer your degree. If using the thesis option, submit the M.S. Thesis Signature Page to confer the degree.
M.S. students are expected to complete their degree within 2 years.
Ph.D. Students Complete all core courses within the first year and complete the preliminary exam at the end of summer quarter. The preliminary exam can be used in lieu of the comprehensive exam to confer the M.S. degree. Submit the Advancement to Candidacy Form the quarter prior to when you expect to confer your M.S. degree.
The Ph.D. qualifying exam is to be completed by the end of the third year. Submit the Notification of Qualifying Exam Committee at least 2 weeks prior to exam date. Submit the Ph.D. Form I to advance to candidacy for the Ph.D.
The Ph.D. dissertation and defense is to be completed no more than 9 quarters after advancing to candidacy. Once the defense date has been confirmed, send the time/location information and abstract to the department for announcement. Submit the Ph.D. Form II to confer the degree.
Ph.D. students are expected to complete their degree within 5 years, with a maximum of 7 years.
Please visit the Graduate Division website http://www.grad.uci.edu/forM.S./ for necessary forM.S..
Ph.D. students are employed as either Graduate Student Researchers (GSRs) in their faculty advisor’s lab or as Teaching Assistants (TAs).
GSR pay grades, or steps, are determined by the student’s academic progress.
Step IV: BS degree only
Step V: BS and M.S. degrees completed (M.S. must be conferred)
Step VI: advanced to Ph.D. candidacy (passed the Qualifying Exam)
For more information on GSRs, please visit the Graduate Division website at: https://www.grad.uci.edu/funding/employment/research-assistantships.php
For information and criteria for TAs, please visit the Graduate Division website at: https://www.grad.uci.edu/funding/employment/teaching-assistantships.php. The department accepts online applications yearly (in the summer) for academic year TAs. All interested students should submit an application to https://mseuci.wufoo.com/forms/md1u8tj04oaw56/ for consideration.
Students are also highly encouraged to apply for additional fellowships. Please visit the Graduate Division website https://www.grad.uci.edu/funding/index.php for fellowships available at UCI.
- Associate Graduate Students (AGS)
- Anteater Recreation Center (ARC)
- Career Center
- Counseling Center
- Disability Services Center (DSC)
- Financial Aid and Scholarships
- Graduate Student Health Insurance Program (GSHIP)
- Graduate and Family Housing
- International Center
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Transgender (LGBT) Resource Center
- Office of Access and Inclusion
- Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity (OEOD)
- Office of Inclusive Excellence
- Student Center
- Student Health Center
- UCI Graduate Division Professional Success
- Veteran Services