Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
The Civil and Environmental Engineering Affiliates are pleased to announce the creation of a new internship program at UCI. It is designed to:
- Help companies find qualified students for either part-time internships during the school year or full-time internships for summer work, and
- Help students find opportunities for work in civil and environmental engineering before graduation and in the process gain a better understanding of the type of work engineers do.
There is no charge for listing Internships in this program and companies do not need to be members of the CEE Affiliates to participate. Companies may list a job/internship by submitting the Company Interface Sheet.
Typical Engineering Courses Taken by CEE Students
- Freshman: Computer Programming, AutoCAD, Land Surveying and Engineering Economics.
- Sophomore: Statics, Dynamics, Thermodynamics, Mechanics of Materials, Project Management.
- Junior: Intro to Transportation, Soils, Fluid Mechanics, Hydraulic Systems, Structural Analysis & Design, Environmental Engineering Issues , Analysis of Uncertainty, Materials
- 4th & 5th year Seniors: Continued specialization in Transportation, Water Resources, Structural, or Environmental Engineering. In addition, many CEE students obtain their EIT (Engineer-in-Training) Certificate their Junior year.
Types of Internships
- Summer Internships: The summer recess runs from Mid-June to Mid-September. Students are available to work 40 hours a week.
- Part-time Internships: During the school year, enrolled students would be eligible to work 10 to 15 hours per week.
- Volunteer Internships: For non-profit or public service organizations with volunteer opportunities.
What Students Look for in Internships
- Practical work experience.
- Insight into work engineers do.
- Applications of concepts covered in courses.
- Identification of needed skills.
- Should they consider graduate school or an MBA?
- Possible progression from Intern to employee upon graduation.
Benefits to Employers
- Increased flexibility of staffing assignments.
- Low- risk complement to recruiting activities.
- Access to highly motivated, well-qualified students who can later become job candidates already familiar with your organization.
- Opportunity to meet members of the CEE Affiliates and learn more about how local companies can benefit from a closer relationship with the highly regarded Civil and Environmental Engineering program at UCI.