Accelerated Status Program

Exceptionally promising UCI undergraduate Engineering students may, during their junior, senior, or fifth year, apply for streamlined admission into a graduate program within The Samueli School of Engineering.

Program Eligibility Requirements:

  • Be in their 3rd year or beyond of undergraduate study.
  • Must also hold a cumulative grade point average of 3.5+ OR be in the Campuswide Honors Program.
  • Must have completed one quarter of 199 Individual Research within Engineering OR one Engineering graduate course numbered 200-289.

How to Petition

Students are required to submit an Accelerated Status Petition Form, as well as the Faculty Advisor Recommendation Form and Letter (in a signed, sealed envelope) to the Graduate and Professional Studies (204 Rockwell Engineering Center). Students may join the Accelerated Status Program at any time in 3rd year or later. It is recommended to join as early as possible to take advantage of the opportunities provided. Students are strongly encouraged to petition no later than December 1st of their last undergraduate year.

What are the advantages of this status?

The Accelerated Status Program assists students in their preparation for graduate study by offering a head start on coursework as well as by allowing students to create an advisor/advisee relationship early.

Students in the Accelerated Status Program can begin their graduate coursework while still an undergraduate student. Moreover, students offered admission under the accelerated status program may, upon matriculation into a UCI graduate program, petition to transfer up to 18 units of the required graduate-level course work completed in excess of requirements for the bachelor's degree. In addition, Accelerated Status students are eligible for reimbursement of their UCI Engineering graduate application fee.

Students within the program are also exempt from UCI's GRE requirement for graduate school admission. This exception applies only to current UCI undergraduate engineering students applying for admission to one of the terminal M.S. programs in UCI’s Samueli School of Engineering (students applying directly to the Ph.D. program will still need to complete the GRE requirement). Accelerated Status applicants are otherwise and in all other ways evaluated in the same manner as other applicants to the School's graduate programs.

Lastly, students within the program may apply for undergraduate research fellowship funding on a quarterly basis (including summer). The maximum funding amounts awarded for this fellowship will vary every year (typically $3000 maximum) and requires matching funds from a faculty advisor. This fellowship can be requested for up to 3 quarters during his/her undergraduate career (they do not need to be consecutive quarters). There is a separate Undergraduate Research Fellowship Application for this process.

Important note about applying to graduate school

Accelerated Status students will still need to go through the graduate application process during their last year as an undergraduate student. Completing the Accelerated Status Program Petition only does not mean that the student has applied for admission to the University. In addition, this program is designed for students applying for graduate school immediately after their undergraduate completion.

Benefits such as application fee reimbursement and GRE waiver are automatically applicable if the student applies to the graduate program(s) within the same academic department as their undergraduate major(s). For students interested in applying to other graduate programs, applicants should consult with the admissions chair of that graduate program. If you are interested in learning more about this option, please schedule a meeting with a Graduate Counselor by calling 949-824-8090.

Please note:

  • "Accelerated" does not mean that you are working on your bachelor’s degree and your graduate degree at the same time. You must wait until after you have been accepted and have matriculated into the graduate program to petition for any graduate units earned during your undergraduate studies to apply to your M.S. or Ph.D. degree.
  • If you apply and are accepted as an Accelerated Status student, you are under no obligation to attend graduate school at UCI.