Curricular Practical Training
For students on an F1 visa, Curricular Practical Training (CPT) allows you to gain internship or work experience while earning academic credit. In order for students to be eligible for CPT, students must enroll in ENGR 295 Internship course offered by the Samueli School of Engineering via the Graduate Student Affairs Office (204 Rockwell Engineering Center).
Preparing your CPT Application and Enrolling in ENGR 295
- Review International Center’s CPT Online Tutorial
- Complete and submit your CPT Application (found on the International Center website) to 204 Rockwell Engineering Center along copy of job offer letter from employer which needs to include:
- Company’s letterhead
- Be addressed to you
- Job title
- Job description
- Location of employment
- Specify if work is part-time/full-time
- Specify the exact start and end date of employment
- Employer’s signature
- CPT Advisor Authorization Form (for Ph.D. students only)
- Summer Session Independent Study form (only if seeking CPT during summer terms)
Once the CPT application is reviewed, then you will be emailed an authorization code to enroll in ENGR 295 (academic year only). Once you enroll in the course and notify Graduate Student Affairs Office (firstname.lastname@example.org), then you will be emailed to pick up your CPT application to submit to the International Center for final review. Please allow 2-4 business days for the Graduate Student Affairs Office for processing.
ENGR 295 Course Requirements
In order to receive a Satisfactory grade in this course, the following two items will need to be submitted at the end of the quarter you are enrolled:
- A 2-page summary report describing the company and its products or services, the technical aspects of the position, courses that you took that helped you prepare for this role, and your professional goals as they relate to your graduate degree at UCI.
- A rating from your internship supervisor as either good/fair/poor and/or an overall assessment of your work emailed to email@example.com.
The grade for the internship course will be S/U only and will be assigned by the instructors based on the summary report and the feedback from the industry mentor/supervisor. Each quarter, a course website under EEE+CANVAS will be created so that summaries can be uploaded to the course website.
For any questions about CPT application, ENGR 295 enrollment, or grading, please contact Graduate Student Affairs Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.