Career Development Resources
Welcome to Graduate and Professional Studies CAREER DEVELOPMENT RESOURCES!
- What: Are you a PhD student or postdoc in the school of engineering, interested in exploring a path to an academic career? Do you want to learn more about what the faculty job is about? What does the academic job search consist of? How to better prepare yourself for it? Do you need help polishing your application materials?
- This seminar series aims to provide information in an informal setting, demystify the faculty job and the academic job search process, create a community, and point you to available resources. This is not a course for credit.
- When: Second Thursday of every month, 1-2pm, throughout the 2023-24 academic year. Coffee and cookies at 12:45 p.m..
- Where: ISEB 1200.
- Who should attend: Engineering Ph.D students and postdocs who are considering an academic career.
If you would like access to the canvas page for this seminar series, please complete this interest form.
GPS-STEM better prepares STEM scientists for a variety of careers within the STEM workforce, and empower them to become not only skilled scientists, but also polished professionals. We work to create, identify and support innovative approaches to broaden the graduate and postdoctoral training.
Learn more about the Graduate Professional Success for STEM PhDs and Postdocs!
Dedicated to supporting the academic and professional success of all UC Irvine graduate students and postdoctoral scholar, the Graduate & Postdoctoral Scholar Resource Center (GPSRC) has everything you need to succeed.
The GPSRC offers the following services:
- Writing Assignments
- Career Advising
- Undergraduate Graduate Preparation Advising
- Writing Support
Programs are open to all domestic and international Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Scholars, free of cost.
Learn more about the Graudate & Postdoctoral Scholar Resource Center!
Hosted by UCI Graduate Division, A2i, Accelerate to Industry, is a modular based professional development training program that focuses on helping our graduate students develop key competencies industry is looking for when hiring and helps to connect our students to industry through workshops, career panels, networking events, lunch and learn events, site visits, Grad Slam and more.
We recently wrapped up our first module, with over 40 PhD students and postdocs during a 5-week intensive workshop series that focused on understanding corporate culture, LinkedIn & networking, resume building, interviewing skills, career exploration and building your brand. Our current focus is on PhD's and Postdocs for our Job Search Strategies module and plans to launch to MS students in the near future.
For more information, visit https://grad.uci.edu/professional-development/industry-partners/.
UCI Grad Slam 2024
Grad Slam is a prestigious competition that showcases the extraordinary work of UCI's graduate scholars, challenging them to present their research in a compelling three-minute format. It's an opportunity for our talented students to demonstrate their research excellence and enhance their communication skills. Moreover, it is a chance to interact with our campus community, local supporters, and the broader public, making a significant impact. Grad Slam offers invaluable professional development, helping students communicate complex research to a wider audience. Additionally, cash prizes of up to $6,000 await the first-prize winner at UCI, and the campus finalist will have the opportunity to compete in the UC-system competition for additional prizes.
Applications Open: October 23rd, 2023
Application Deadline: January 21, 2024.
If you have any questions or need further information, please reach out too Kayleigh Anderson-Natale, PhD (email@example.com).