UC Irvine’s 37th Annual National Engineers Week Celebration
Weeklong activities begin Feb. 16, 2010
Shimmick Construction Company, Inc.
The Henry Samueli School of Engineering at the University of California, Irvine invites students, faculty, alumni and members of the public to attend the campus’ 37th celebration of National Engineers Week, or E-Week, Feb. 16-20, 2010. Established in 1951 by the National Society of Professional Engineers, E-Week is an annual event aimed at increasing public awareness and appreciation for the engineering profession.
The weeklong event provides an avenue for students to demonstrate inventiveness and imagination through a variety of events. Highlighting the festivities is a series of competitions allowing students to demonstrate innovation and creativity. Examples of contests and events include:
- Dean’s Pancake Breakfast (Feb. 16, 9:00 a.m., location: Engineering Gateway Plaza) join fellow engineering students as Dean Bras and other engineering professors, staff, and alumni cook a pancake breakfast.
- Egg Drop: (Feb. 18, 11:00 a.m., location: Engineering Tower) competitors build a contraption that holds eggs and will withstand the drop from the top of Engineering Tower.
- Popsicle Stick Bridge: (Feb. 18, 12:00 p.m., location: Engineering Gateway Plaza) using just Popsicle sticks and Elmer's glue, competitors are required to design a bridge that will withstand the highest load. Score will be determined by taking the load to weight ratio.
- Castle Destruction: (Feb. 18, 2:00 p.m., location: Engineering Gateway Plaza) teams will construct a fortress and catapult which will be used to protect their figurines as well as attack the opposing teams' fortresses.
- Rube Goldberg: (Feb. 18, 3:00 p.m., location: Engineering Gateway Plaza) a fiercely competitive battle of wits, the Rube Goldberg contest is an attempt to create a machine to put toothpaste on a toothbrush in an incredibly complex, wacky, and roundabout manner.
- Catapult: (Feb. 19, 10:00 a.m., location: Engineering Gateway Plaza) designers are challenged to create a device to toss, propel, kick, or fling a beanbag as far as possible.
- Student-Faculty Softball Game (Feb. 20, 11:00 a.m., location: Gabrielino Community Park, University Hills) compete against Dean Bras and other engineering professors in a fierce game of softball.
Additional E-Week activities include the EngiTECH Career Fair held on Feb. 17, featuring more than 30 local companies; a high school shadow day on Feb. 18; a popular faculty and student barbecue on Feb. 18 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.; and, an awards banquet on Feb. 19 from 5 – 8:30p.m. (R.S.V.P. required; please contact Kyle Hosford at email@example.com for more information) Additional information about E-Week can be found at: http://esc.eng.uci.edu/eweek/.
All events will be held at The Henry Samueli School of Engineering on the UC Irvine campus. For directions, please visit http://www.uci.edu/campusmaps.php.