Engineering Phase 2 Research Restart
UCI’s Phase 2 research activities consist of Phase 1 “critical” (or “essential”) research plus research activities that may pose lower risk for virus transmission ("Guiding Principles contained in the Vice Chancellor’s May 11 message"). All Phase 2 Research activities require approval and will consist of no more than 30% of pre-pandemic levels at any given time.
SSOE Phase 2 Approval Process for Engineering PIs and Center Directors – June 8, 2020
Faculty PIs and SSOE Center Directors who plan to have personnel, including themselves, come to campus to do research in a laboratory or office setting or do allowable off-campus research must have Phase 2 approval from SSOE, following the 2-step process below. This approval is an agreement between the PI and SSOE Authorizing Official, Associate Dean Efi Foufoula-Georgiou, and it is the responsibility of the PI to ensure the safety and following of protocols by all personnel doing research under their supervision.
- As “Plan Owners,” the PI/Center Director must complete the SSOE’s Phase 2 Research Safety Plan Form agreeing to UCI and SSOE protocols with opportunities to request exceptions. Updates to personnel and research locations can be done after approval, via an email to email@example.com
- Plan Owners must complete, check all “required” boxes, and sign the SSOE Phase 2 Authorization Form. Please email to firstname.lastname@example.org for approval routing. This form must match what was submitted in the SSOE’s Phase 2 Research Safety Plan Form.
SSOE Protocols and Phase 2 Updates:
- Engineering Laboratory Protocol For Phase 2 Research Operation – June 1, 2020: SSOE rules that must be followed at all times unless an exception is approved through the Phase 2 approval process. These protocols must be posted in each laboratory.
- Additional Information Required for Phase 2 Approved PIs and Labs – July 27, 2020: Phase 2 approved PIs/Centers need to provide up-to-date personnel and location information to SSOE that is used for planning purposes.
- Engineering Training Protocol For Phase 2 Research Operations – September 10, 2020: SSOE protocols that updates the June 1 Engineering Laboratory Protocol to allow for one-on-one training between 2 people within 6ft and/or room <250 sq ft.
- Engineering Research Visitor Request Form for Phase 2 Approved Research – October 4, 2020: Following Chancellor Gillman’s directive on invited guest/visitor, SSOE’s form for allowing non-UCI employees to be on campus to do research.
UCI Phase 2 Additional Requirements:
- Training for employees: All on-site employees are required to view a training video entitled “Returning to Campus,” which explains what COVID-19 is, how it is transmitted, the steps we’re taking to reduce potential exposures, and what you can do to protect yourself and others. The video is available through the UC Learning Center and can be searched by title using the Find a Course function. PIs need to receive attestation of completion from each person in their lab prior to them coming to campus. Contact Christian Ritter (email@example.com) if you need to look anyone up in the UCLC transcripts.
- Working Well Daily Health Check-in: As part of Phase 2’s Personnel Hygiene & Self Screening process (4c.2) Campus HR has implemented a Working Well Daily Heath Check-in process that will allow all UCI workforce to conduct daily check-ins prior to coming on Campus. If you have not received this already, more information found here: https://uci.edu/coronavirus/app/index.php
- UCI COVID Dashboard
- UCI Process for Reporting Campus COVID-19 Cases (Print out)
- COVID Asymptomatic Testing for On-Site Campus Employees Instructions
- OR’s Research Continuity Website
- EH&S Website
- EH&S Vendor Reference Guide
- SSoE Return to Campus Supply Reorder Form
- SSoE Anonymous Safety Infraction Reporting Form
- Maximum Occupancy Template
- UCI Space Management Guidelines Tool