Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Ph.D. Preliminary Examination in CpE
Preliminary Examination Requirements
Chair of the Prelim Exam Committee: Professor Aparna Chandramowlishwaran
Written Preliminary Examination
(Please complete and submit registration form to email@example.com. Registration deadline is Friday, April 15, 2022, at 5:00PM)
- Date: Tuesday, May 3, 2022
- Time: 9:30AM- 2:00PM
Operating Systems: 11:00AM-12:00PM (noon)
Architecture: 1:00PM -2:00PM
- Location: Engineering Hall 2430 -Harut Barsamian Colloquia (exam will be in-person)
An information session is scheduled for:
- Date: Monday, October 4, 2021
- Time: 11:00AM-12:00PM (noon)
- Location: Zoom Recording
Oral Preliminary Examination
- Date: Wednesday, May 11 - Friday, May 13, 2022
- Location: TBD
This document outlines the materials to be covered in the written exam. The relevant courses offered at UCI in this field are listed below. Reference textbooks and supplementary books are provided.
List of courses:
Operating Systems (EECS 111)
- Reference: Avi Silverschatz, Greg Gagne, Peter Baer Galvin, Operating Systems Concepts, Ninth Edition, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Chapters 3-13.
Computer Organization (EECS 112)
- Reference: D. Patterson and J. Hennessy, Computer Organization and Design RISC-V Edition: The Hardware Software Interface, Second Edition, Morgan Kaufman Publishers, 2020. Chapters 1-5.
Algorithms (EECS 114)
- Reference: Thomas H. Cormen, Charles E. Leiserson, Ronald L. Rivest, and Clifford Stein, Introduction to Algorithms (Second or Third edition), McGraw-Hill, Chapters 1-12, 15-16, 22-26, 34-35.
Although the above material describes the nature of the background information the student should have mastered prior to taking the Preliminary Examinations, it is to be emphasized that an important quality for the student to demonstrate by performance during the examinations is a comprehensive understanding of the technical areas involved and the ability to apply it to diverse applications. In other words, students are ultimately responsible for the body of knowledge in the area that might be besides the materials covered in these classes.