Project Scientist - Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
The UC Irvine Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science has an opening for a project scientist to manage the scientific progress of research projects. The project scientist is expected to utilize a detailed knowledge of scientific theory and applications and to apply this knowledge toward the development of scientific experiments to test hypotheses in an effort to solve complex research problems. This position is for 50% only employment.
A doctorate in biomedical engineering, experimental biology or related fields. Applicants should have expertise in the following areas:
- Genomics and proteomics: molecular cloning, phage display, sequencing, pyrosequencing, real-time PCR, RT-PCR and hybridization techniques, immunoblotting, ELISA, immunocytochemistry, 2D-electrophoresis, FPLC, MALDI-TOF/Mascot, high-throughput screening for biomarkers, systems and integrated circuits (including analog/radio-frequency) for communications and networking
- Cellular biology: cell culture and cellular phenotyping
- Zebrafish model and related experiments
- Nanotechnology and chemical modification: synthesis of plasmonic nanoparticles, magnetic nanoparticles, DNA-directed nanoparticles, metal-organic framework (MOF), surface chemistry and bioconjugation
- Analytical systems: TEM (transmission electron microscopy), SEM (scanning electron microscopy), AFM (atomic force microscopy), SPM (scanning probe microscopy), FT-IR, LSPR, SERS, EDX (energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy)
- Lab-on-a-chip and point-of-care devices
The successful candidates will report to Assistant Professor Hung Cao and work jointly with other collaborators. The candidates will be expected to conduct research, publish papers and coordinate a number of activities involving proposal initiation, supervision of students and presentation of research results on various media, including the web.
The initial appointment will be for 12 months, and salary depends on the applicant’s qualifications. Renewal of the appointment will be contingent upon the availability of adequate funding and performance.
Application Procedure: Apply by submitting your application to our online RECRUIT system at (https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF06403)
UC Irvine is part of the premier public university system in the world. UCI is a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU), is ranked as a top-10 public university by U.S. News and World Report, and was identified by the New York Times as No. 1 among U.S. universities that do the most for low-income students. UCI is located in Orange County, four miles from the Pacific Ocean and 45 miles south of Los Angeles. Irvine is one of the safest communities in the U.S. and offers a very pleasant year-round climate, numerous recreational and cultural opportunities, and one of the highest-ranked public-school systems in the nation.
Information about the department is available at: http://engineering.uci.edu/dept/eecs
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.