Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science

Admissions: Frequently Asked Questions

When can I apply for Fall 2018 admissions?

Online application submission for Fall '18 will open September 1st, 2017.


Can I apply for a different quarter other than Fall?

No. We only admit students in Fall. If you miss the deadline to apply for Fall 2018, you will have to wait to apply for Fall 2019.


What is the deadline for Fall 2018 online applications and supporting documents/scores?

The deadline for online applications for Fall 2018 admission is DECEMBER 15, 2017

The deadline for all required documents (Official transcripts, TOEFL scores, GRE scores, and Letters of Recommendations) for Fall 2018 is January 15, 2018. All required documents and scores must be RECEIVED in our office (NOT POSTMARKED) by 5:00 PM (Pacific Standard Time) on January 15, 2018.

What documents do I need to submit by the deadline?

Use the following list as a guideline of requirements for a complete application:

  • Application - Completed online
  • Application Fee – Preferred to be paid online
  • Statement Of Purpose - Preferred to be done online (Please note: Once you submit your SOP it cannot be later edited/changed)
  • GRE Score– (There is no minimum GRE score required) Please allow at least 2 weeks submission time for your scores to be received and processed by UCI
    • GRE scores must be submitted electronically from ETS and sent to our UCI Graduate Division (institution code 4859. NO department code needed)
  • TOEFL Score- (Minimum overall TOEFL score should be 80 or higher) Please allow at least 2 weeks submission time for your scores to be received and processed by UCI
    • TOEFL (US citizens are not required to take the TOEFL exam) TOEFL scores must be submitted electronically from ETS and sent to our UCI Graduate Division (institution code 4859. NO department code needed).
  • As an alternative to the TOEFL, you may submit scores from the Academic Modules of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). The overall minimum IELTS score is 7, with a score of no less than 6 on any individual module.  The IELTS score can also be submitted electronically from ETS and sent to our UCI Graduate Division (institution code 4859. NO department code needed) or for paper submission, you must mail a Test Report Form (TRF) to: Graduate Division | Admissions | 120 Aldrich Hall | University of California, Irvine, CA 92697-3180. Please allow at least 2 weeks submission time for your scores to be received and processed by UCI
  • Official Transcripts (Bachelors and Masters, if applicable)
    • ALL transcripts must be physically MAILED IN to our office. They CANNOT be emailed or uploaded. See below for address to mail your transcripts to and what is considered an official transcript.
  • 3 Letters of Recommendation (LOR’s) - Preferred to be done online

The only items that are required to be mailed to our office are official transcripts. Official transcripts must be signed or stamped and sealed in an envelope by the University. Please mail transcripts EARLY and allow ample time for mailing especially when mailing transcripts from other countries.  The documents must be received in our office and signed by an UCI staff, not postmarked, by the January 15, 2017 deadline.

Please mail official transcripts to the following address:

University of California, Irvine
Department of EECS, Graduate Admission Office
2200 Engineering Hall
Irvine, CA 92697-2625-10

**Please try to note your application number on the outside of the envelope**

Please do not include financial documents at this time. International applicants may be required to submit proof of funding as part of the application process at a later date. If we require them, we will contact you. Do not include them with your documents at this time.

  • Please do not use any staples, paper clips or scotch tape on any envelopes or documents.
  • Do not separate documents with paper clips or staples.
  • Please do not submit presentation folders.
  • Please do not include a copy of all the documents you also submitted online

What is considered an official transcript?

All transcripts must be OFFICIAL meaning an official transcript or a copy of a transcript that is stamped/signed by your University's Registrar's office and in a sealed and stamped University envelope.  Any transcripts that are received by our office that are NOT in a SEALED OFFICIAL UNIVERSITY ENVELOPE are not considered official and will NOT be accepted.

***If we receive a transcript that is considered unofficial, due to the large volume of transcripts we receive, we will be UNABLE to notify you to re-send a corrected/official transcript by the deadline and your application will then be considered incomplete and will be closed.*** 


I only have 1 official copy of my transcript and I am unable to request additional copies, what should I do?

We cannot accept just a photocopy of your transcript. If you are unable to request an additional copy of your official transcript  from your University, you must get the official copy you have notarized by an official notary. They must contest the information is indeed correct and true by making a photocopy of your transcript, notarizing it, stamping and signing the attested copy, including their notary approval sheet, and sealing it all in an official company/notarized envelope from the company. We cannot accept the notarized copy unless is it received to us in an official SEALED envelope by/from the company. This is the only other form of an official transcript that we are able to accept. You will have to research notary services in your area who indeed offer the transcript verification service and pay their fee.


What is the minimum GPA to apply?

The minimum undergraduate GPA to apply is a 3.0 on a 4.0 U.S. Scale. To apply to the Ph.D. program, the minimum graduate GPA is 3.5 out of a 4.0.  


If my GPA falls under the minimum requirement am I still able to apply?

Yes. You can still apply however, please keep in mind that you will be up against a large pool of other applicants that do meet and exceed the minimum requirements.


Am I able to apply prior to completing my Bachelors or Master’s degree?

Yes. You will need to request and mail an official transcript from the University in which you are attending, through the current semester/quarter.


Can my application fee be waived?

The university offers potential graduate students who are either U.S. citizens or permanent residents the opportunity to apply for an application Fee Waiver. Foreign applicants are not eligible for graduate application fee waivers.


Is the application fee refundable?

No. The application fee is non-refundable.


Am I able to apply to multiple programs at once?

Yes, you can. You will need to submit a separate online application, application fee, letters of recommendation, and transcripts for each program. However, you only need to submit test scores, such as GRE or TOEFL once, then UCI's Graduate Division will distribute the scores electronically to each program's application.


How do I know whether or not I am required to submit a TOEFL?

***Please read this section very carefully and in it's entirety, as the policies are very specific and non-negotiable.***

Applicants whose primary language is not English are required to demonstrate proficiency in English for admission consideration. A student may receive a waiver to the requirement for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Internet-based Test (iBT) or a paper-based test (PBT) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) if they completed all the requirements for their high school diploma, bachelor’s degree, or an advanced degree in a country where the primary and/or dominant language is English and English was the language of instruction of the school where the requirements were completed **WITHOUT ANY TRANSFERRED UNITS.**

****If you transferred any units (even 1 unit) from an international university and used ANY of those transferred units to meet degree requirements to your university within the United States, your TOEFL can not be waived, and will still be required.****


What is the minimum TOEFL/IELTS score requirements for admission?

  • TOEFL iBT -80

  • TOEFL pBT -550 

  • IELTS -overall minimum score of 7 and no scores less than 6 on any individual module.


What is the minimum GRE score requirements for admission?

There is no minimum GRE score required. The search commitee looks at your GRE scores overall as a whole.


My TOEFL/IELTS or GRE scores have expired. Would I still be considered for admission?

  • TOEFL test results that are two years old or older are not acceptable.
  • IELTS test scores that are two years old or older are not acceptable.
  • GRE scores are only valid for 5 years

Applicants should register for either the October or December test dates to ensure the timely receipt of their score results for admission consideration. At the time of test registration, students must notify the Educational Testing Service to report scores directly to UCI. Scores reported by a student cannot be accepted.


Am I able to apply before taking the GRE or TOEFL/IELTS test?

Yes. On the application enter the date you have registered to take the test. Applicants should register for either the October or December test dates to ensure the timely receipt of their score results for admission consideration. At the time of test registration, students must notify the Educational Testing Service to report scores directly to UCI. Scores reported by a student cannot be accepted.


What's the institution code for submitting GRE and TOEFL/IELTS scores?

The institution code for GRE and TOEFL/IELTS is 4859. NO department code is needed.


What's the department code for submitting GRE and TOEFL/IELTS scores?

NO department code is needed when submitting scores electronically, the institution code is the only coded needed/required


How long does it take for my scores to be received once submitted?

Please allow at least 2 weeks from the time you submit your scores for them to be received and processed by UCI


I did not see where I can upload my CV/Resume, how can I upload it to my application?

As a CV/resume is not a required document, you are free to email your CV/resume to the department at, OR mail it along with your official transcripts to the address listed above. However, due to the large volume of applications we receive, we will do our best to add/upload it to your application for you, but unfortunately it is not guaranteed. **Please DO NOT mail your CV to our office separately. If you did not mail it in along with your transcripts, are wanting to include it on your application, please email it ONLY in that instance**


How much does it cost to attend graduate school at UCI?

Tuition and fees (subject to change), may be found on the University Registrar's website.


Are financial documents required when applying?

No. International applicants may be required to submit proof of funding as part of the application process at a later date.  You will be notified if you are required to submit proof of funding.


Are my chances of being admitted to the graduate program in the department better if I do not require financial assistance?

Uniform admissions standards are applied to all students regardless of financial need. Please do not send any financial information with your application.


What forms of financial aid are available for incoming graduate students and when can I apply for it?

There are two broad types of financial support offered to incoming graduate students at the department level:

Departmental support and student employment.

The Department has a small number of financial support allocations each Fall that may be offered to outstanding entering Ph.D students only. The conditions and terms of the various support awards will vary, but they usually include the remission of fees and nonresident tuition (if applicable) and a monthly stipend for living expenses. Financial support recipients are selected at the same time that admission decisions are made and full description of the financial offer will be indicated in the offer letter.

Graduate students may be employed as Graduate Student Researchers (GSR) or Teaching Assistants (TA). Individual faculty members may have research funds available for supporting incoming students as GSRs. Interested applicants should inquire about such opportunities directly to the EECS faculty whose research programs most closely match their own background and interests. A current list of faculty and their research areas is available at the department website.

The Department also offers TA positions to qualified graduate students each quarter that complete the required TA training.
***Unfortunately you are unable to apply for any type of financial support that is offered through the department, prior to being admitted.***


Are there any other types of financial aid options that I can apply for?

You can find general information here.  

If you are interested in federal financial aid, information is available on the Financial Aid and Scholarships website


How many international and domestic students are admitted to the department each admissions cycle?

Approximately 1/3 of domestic applicants and 2/3 of international students are admitted each year.

 Is it easier to be admitted for the Fall, Winter or Spring quarter?

Applications are accepted for Fall quarter only. We do not offer admission for Winter or Spring.

My background is in a different field. Would I still be considered for admission? And Are prerequisite courses required prior to applying?

An applicant will be considered regardless of academic background. However, a basis of knowledge is important when considering any graduate studies. Applicants are encouraged to demonstrate interest and potential for research and academic success in their statement of purpose on their application.

If admitted, a new student might also be encouraged to take prerequisite courses if necessary, however to apply prerequisite courses are not a requirement to be considered.


I sent my recommender an invitation to submit a letter of recommendation, but he/she did not receive it. What should I do?

It is possible that your recommender has restrictive filtering of their e-mail. They will have to allow the Webmaster e-mail address  or look in their junk/spam email folder, if they have one, to see if the e-mail is there. You may wish to go to Application Progress Review to request that the e-mail be sent to your recommender again.


I would like to make a change to my online application, but I have already submitted it. What should I do?

After submission, your application cannot be changed by you or the department staff. You will need to send an e-mail to requesting specific changes that need to be made such as, correction of spelling of name, birthdate, etc. and the department will try and request the correction. Please note your statement of purpose on your online application cannot be edited once submitted.


How can I find out if all my required documents have been received?

Once you submit and pay your online application fee to Graduate Division, please allow 48 hours to a week for the EECS department to receive your application in our systems. You will be able to track your application and required documents by going to:


Can I be employed as a Teaching Assistant (TA) or Graduate Student Researcher (GSR)?

To be hired as a TA or GSR, students must provide proof of eligibility for employment on campus. All international students and those students who did not attend all 4 years in a US high school, must take and pass the SPEAK or TOEP exam or have taken the TOEFL iBT and scored a 26 or higher, and have completed the required training prior to the start of the quarter for which they apply for a TA position.

Will my admission offer include guaranteed access to on-campus housing?

Ph.D. students are generally offered student housing, provided they register for housing and pay the deposit. Newly admitted MS students are not guarenteed housing. There will be a deadline for this, usually the first of May for the following academic year. All newly admitted students are responsible for applying on their own to live on campus; you will receive information directly from the UCI Housing Office concerning the various housing options available on campus. Early applications to live in on-campus housing are strongly encouraged; you do not need to wait to be admitted to apply to live on campus. You can find more information about housing here:


If you have any further questions that may not have been answered from this page, please visit UCI's Graduate Division FAQ page