Incoming Students

We look forward to welcoming you to campus this Fall 2016! This page will provide you with more information as to what steps you should complete between now and after you arrive on campus. If you have questions or would like to request clarification, please contact us at and we would be happy to assist you:

Engineering Graduate Student Affairs Office (GSAO)

General List: Things to Do After You've Been Admitted

  1. Activate your UCInetID, which will become your student email address. Follow the link and select "Student Applicants" from the Activate page. If you were previously a student or employee at UCI, you will retain your existing UCINetID and you do not need to reactivate it.
  2. Begin checking your UCI email account via UCI Google Apps Gmail as important information will be sent there. 
  3. Complete and submit the Statement of Legal Residence (SLR) form. For more information, visit UCI Registrar's Office Statement of Legal Residence. To log into the SLR site, use your new Student ID# and numeric password that were included in the "Congratulations from UCI" email message you should have received confirming your admission offer. Do not use your Application ID Number when logging into the SLR site.
  4. Complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). International students do not need to complete the FAFSA.
  5. International students who need an F-1 or J-1 Visa should complete the I-20/DS-2019 Request for New Graduate Students and submit it to the department.
  6. If applicable, meet the conditions of your provisional admissions (as stated on your "Congratulations to UCI" email message).
  7. Enroll in classes (see below for more information about enrolling in units) starting June 10th.
  8. Pay fees (see below for more information on fee payment). Students can log in to their ZotBill account to see their balance and pay their fees. Learn about Graduate Student Health Insurance (GSHIP) and the requirements to waive it (if applicable).
  9. Notify the Graduate Division at of an address change prior to the third week of classes.
  10. In addition to these items, consult the appropriate (domestic or international student) Graduate Division Pre-Arrival and Post-Arrival Action Item checklists:
  11. After arriving on campus, get your Student ID Card (photo ID) at the Hill.

Fee Payment

A breakdown of FULL-TIME and PART-TIME graduate student fees will be posted once finalized:

Enrolling in Units

FULL-TIME students should enroll in 12 or more units per quarter.

PART-TIME students should enroll in 1 to 8 units only per quarter. Please note that only domestic MS students are eligible for part-time study. All students wishing to be on part-time status for Fall 2016 will need to submit a Reduced Fee Part-Time Study Program form to their departmental coordinator. The form is due to Graduate Division by Wednesday of Week 3 by noon.

ENROLLING is a two-step process:

  1. Students will use WebSOC to look up what courses are offered for the Fall 2016 quarter.
  2. Students will then complete the actual registration for those courses using WebReg (click on the yellow "Access WebReg" link on the right-hand side).

When students are choosing courses to take for the upcoming quarter, it is important that they consult:

  1. WebSOC for availability of courses,
  2. Their M.S. or Ph.D. requirements (see below),
  3. Their faculty advisor (if entering with an official research advisor - otherwise, if applicable, students will begin consulting their thesis or doctoral research advisor after matching at a later date),
  4. Contact the Graduate Student Affairs Office (GSAO) or their departmental Graduate Coordinator or Graduate Advisor with any questions (see below).

Course Numbering System

UCI uses the following numbering system for its courses:

0-99: Lower-Division Undergraduate Courses
Note: Some students with non-engineering backgrounds take 1-2 as background courses, however these courses cannot be applied to M.S. or Ph.D. degree progress.

100-195: Upper-Division Undergraduate Courses
Note: Only upper division undergraduate courses (100-189) have the potential to count toward your M.S. degree requirements so students should check with the appropriate Graduate Advisor for approval. You will be restricted from enrolling in undergraduate courses using WebReg. As such, if you would like to enroll in an engineering undergraduate course during any quarter of the academic year, please contact the professor of the engineering course, stating that you are a graduate student wishing to enroll in their undergraduate course and asking whether or not they approve of this request. If the professor approves, forward the email to the Curriculum Office at:

196-199: Upper-Division Undergraduate Research Units
Note: These courses cannot be applied to M.S. or Ph.D. degree progress.

200-291: Graduate-Level Coursework

292-299: Graduate-Level Seminars and Research
Note: The majority of your M.S. and Ph.D. work will be comprised of units numbered 200-299. Please see the plans of study below and the course catalogue for further details on individual department/program requirements.

M.S. or Ph.D. requirements

M.S. - For those students entering as terminal M.S. students or as Ph.D. students who need to earn an M.S. degree, you will need to complete the degree requirements for an M.S. in the appropriate field of study. As such, when choosing units each quarter, students will want to do all of the following:

  1. Follow the 2016-2017 Plan of Study in their major area
  2. Consult the 2016-20176 UCI General Catalogue for any additional information on unit or course number requirements
  3. Consult the 2016-2017 Tentative Engineering Teaching Plan

Please note that some of these resources will not be updated until late July.

Ph.D. - For those students entering the Ph.D. program having already completed an M.S. degree, you will follow the requirements for the Ph.D. degree only in the major area. Some programs have course requirements students must meet, while others have no mandated course requirements. All Ph.D. programs have milestones students must meet at specific times, such as the Preliminary Examination, the Qualifying Examination, and the Doctoral Defense and Dissertation, itself. As such, when choosing units each quarter, students will want to do all of the following:

  1. Consult the 2016-2017 UCI General Catalogue for any additional information on unit or course number requirements
  2. Consult the preliminary examination information for your major to see if there are any courses you need to take prior to taking the exam
  3. Consult their faculty research advisor (if matched already) to discuss any other courses that might be applicable to their research topic
  4. Consult the 2016-2017 Tentative Engineering Teaching Plan