Postdoctoral Scholar in Localization of Networked Mobile Agents
The Cooperative Systems lab (Prof. S. Kia’s group) in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at the University of California Irvine (www.uci.edu) is currently accepting applications for a postdoctoral scholar position. The position includes hands-on and theoretical research.
The research will focus on cooperative localization problems for a group of mobile agents, with a special focus on human agent localization in indoor environments. We are seeking an individual with a strong background in probabilistic robotics and hands-on experience in sensor development and multi-robot experiments. Specific responsibilities include development of decentralized cooperative localization algorithms as well as conceptual and physical design of demonstration testbeds. Field studies will be an integral part of the work, serving both to refine system specifications and to assess new technologies. Additional responsibilities will include design and implementation of characterization experiments, data analysis, collaboration with other researchers, preparing publications and delivering presentations for top journals and conferences, reporting to the funding agencies and periodic assistance to graduate students.
- Ph.D. degree in computer science, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering or a related field is required.
- High-quality publication record
- Strong communication and English language skills (written and spoken)
Experience in the following would be ideal:
- Integration of embedded systems, design and testing of custom electronics, sensors, microcontrollers, firmware, etc.
- Design and implementation of distributed algorithms for networked systems
- Familiarity with ultra-wide-band ranging sensors is highly desirable
- Creativity and a proactive attitude
- Experience in working in multidisciplinary teams
- Independent yet strong team player
Experience in the following would be useful, but not essential:
- Familiarity with robotics, measurements and automation software (e.g. ROS, Linux based, PLC, Labview)
Please send a CV, cover letter and a list of at least three references. The position is a one-year appointment. Renewal of the appointment will be offered to well-performing candidates contingent upon the availability of adequate funding. An immediate start date is available within two weeks of the hiring decision.
Apply by submitting your application to our online RECRUIT system at: https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF04287
and also by sending an email to the following email address with the subject line “specialist appointment – cooperative localization (hardware or software)"
Prof. Solmaz S. Kia
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
University of California, Irvine
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.